Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Week of Meetings

Its been a somewhat eventful week.  I met with a local retired physician who gave me some good advice and feedback on the new website.  I met with a contact person in a Medicaid HMO and pitched my idea for peridoulas.   I looked at a building that might be suitable for a birthcenter that will become available next Spring.  I spoke to a local LLL leader's group about the Uzazi Village vision.  I made more contacts, and touched base with my liutenents.  Through student clinicals I got a glimpse of midwifery at both ends of the spectrum- midwives caring for a middle-class clientele, and those caring for a low resource population.  Viewing midwifery practices up close and personal and been valuable and enlightening.  I am excited for the shape that the work is taking.  I have more appointments set up over the next few weeks- a local birth center, a health advocacy group for African-Americans, a local pediatrician.  I'm also trying to get on the agendas for several organizational meetings.  I'm currently on the lookout for commercial space that I can use as a small office/clinic and meeting space.  I need something with a large meeting room, a small office, an exam room, a bathroom, and a small kitchenett.  It needs to be in the city, near midtown or downtown.  Once I secure a space, I will begin hosting the Chocolate Milk Cafe- a breastfeeding support group for African-American moms.  I hope its up and going by August if not sooner.  In the meantime, I'm hitting the road to Connecticut and Rhode Island to present my educator workshops.  I'll return next week and jump back into the thick of things.

Oh, and one other 'meeting' worth mentioning.  I visited a relative living in the urban core, and overheard a cousin berating an uncle for not 'investing' in his business.  His business happens to be selling dope.  Yeah, that's what I'm up against.

No comments:

Post a Comment