Thursday, December 28, 2017

Bring me that horizon

As 2017 comes to a close, I'd like to set my intentions for the coming year.  2017 has been an eventful and very positive and productive year.  2018 will be even more so. Here is what I have planned for myself, and Uzazi Village.
Professional Goals
1) I have been on hiatus from my midwifery preceptorship this semester.  Things start back into full swing in January. My plan is to finish all my births in 2018 and prepare to sit for the NARM exam by this time next year. A big thank you to my preceptor who has painstakingly brought me through this journey and will see me to the end.
2) I will remain half time in my doctorate program.  I now have a 'dissertation doula' who has been working with me to refine my research project which will center around the Sister Doula program. My research project was funded and is in full swing and may finish up by April or May.
3) The Ida Mae Clinic has been designed and is ready for its build out.  We are awaiting board approval of the plans and then the builders can start.  The clinic will be in the back of our current building in an empty warehouse type space.  I cannot express the excitement I feel at seeing the clinic come to pass.
4) My group prenatal care model is almost ready to unveil. The Village Circle Model is the model of care that will be practiced in the Ida Mae Clinic.  My model was created by Black folks, for Black folks and is built on principles of shared governance, client autonomy and community self-determination.  I'm excited that after years of conceptualizing, planning, and creative effort my model has taken shape.
5) I have a goal to publish my book in 2018 and a 'book doula' coming to help me put things in order. I have a publisher, and just need to put it all together to create something that will be a useful guide for Black families trying to get decent care out of the current system or seek out or create new systems.
6) Travel will be very limited in 2018. I will need to stick close to home to finish my births and finally become a midwife.  Instead, consider this an open invitation to come see me and Uzazi Village in 2018.  We love to entertain visitors and we will happily show off our space and show you how we do what we do.  Make plans to come to Kansas City in the coming year.
7) Scouting out properties for the next phase of our growth; the midwifery school and birth center.
Personal Goals
8) I had weight loss surgery last May and to date have lost 60 lbs.  I hope to continue on this trajectory and complete my weight loss goals.
9) I plan to clear some psychological and physical space by completing a divorce process this year.
10) Plan to continue therapy- its going great and I love the process.
11) Working on a plan toward home ownership.
12) Making my home a center of community life and activity and hospitality.
That's what's going on in my life.  Overall life is good and I'm pretty much up for whatever comes my way.  In the words, of Captain Jack Sparrow, "Bring me that horizon."

1 comment: